The Bahco Laplander: The folding saw I have been using for over 5 years for survival & bushcraft
Why is the Bahco Laplander the best folding saw? I have been using it for survival & bushcraft for over 5 years. Find out if the saw is right for you
From Martin Gebhardt. Check out my “About me” page.
👉 The key facts from this guide
- Powerful saw for little money: The Bahco Laplander is a robust folding saw that is available for about €25. It is lightweight, compact, and ideal for bushcraft and outdoor activities.
- Efficient sawing: The saw has deeply set teeth that make sawing wood, even wet and damp wood, easier. It is small enough to store in a backpack and large enough to effortlessly saw small trees and branches.
- Handle and locking mechanism: The handle of the Bahco Laplander is made of rubber, which is ideal for bad weather. The saw has a locking button to open and close the blade, which is a very practical feature.
- Set with knife: There is a deal with a Morakniv Companion knife, which offers fantastic value for money. The set costs between €27 and €30, depending on the offer.
- Conclusion: The Bahco Laplander is a reliable and durable folding saw that requires little maintenance and attention. It is the best you can get as a beginner for the price.
I am often asked which tools I like, use, and recommend.
Surprisingly, there are also many emails about folding saws.
This guide is a response to these questions and is also intended to serve anyone else who may be searching for a good folding saw on the internet.
Powerful saw for a low price
I work in nature mostly with three different tools, which are:
- a knife (find the best knife here)
- a folding saw (The Bahco Laplander)
- an axe or hatchet
I have noticed that it takes time to find the right tools.
Most importantly, it is important to me that the tools fit well in my hand.
Of course, it is essential to me that knives cut well, saws saw well, and axes chop well. If I notice significant defects in tools, they immediately go in the trash or back to the manufacturer. I don't hesitate.
I suspect that anyone who is interested in Bushcraft, survival, or other outdoor passions has heard of Bahco.
The Bahco Laplander was undoubtedly one of the best purchases I have ever made.
I had various DIY store saws and discount saws (here's a review) in use. Either they sawed worse over time or the locking mechanism failed.
Now the Bahco folding saw (designation: BAHCO IR396-LAP) costs around 25 euros on Amazon. That is quite a lot compared to other folding saws (which start at 10 euros).
But she's worth it. I'll tell you why too.
The Bahco Laplander is lightweight, fits comfortably in the hand, and cuts wood as quickly as Woody Woodpecker creates new holes.
Did you know that the folding saw has been on the market since 1998? But it used to have a different name. With a tool that has been on the market for so long, the quality simply has to be right; otherwise it wouldn't have survived.
The Bahco Laplander is damn light and compact
Absolutely fantastic are the very tightly interlocked saw teeth. The cut becomes wider, but the blade gets very little jammed as a result.
Through the coarse teeth, sawing is also fun with wet and damp wood. However, the folding saw is not suitable for smooth cuts for crafting purposes.
Check out saws from Silky, they cost twice as much. For 25 euros, the Bahco Laplander is a good product at a fair price.
Here is some more data:
- Saw blade 19 cm long
- Handle 23 cm long
- Total length unfolded 40.5 cm
- Weight 200 grams
Based on the dimensions, you can see that the Bahco Laplander folding saw is small enough to store in a backpack. And it is large enough to effortlessly saw small trees and branches. You can saw 15 cm in diameter without any problems.
In contrast to many folding saws I have used, it has a locking button for opening and closing the saw blade. That is a feature I never want to miss again.
Although the blade is very durable, additional blades are also available on Amazon in case you break or bend one. At least you don't have to buy a whole saw to replace it.
The handle of the Bahco Laplander is made of rubber, which is ideal for bad weather. Do you have gorilla hands? No problem: even with large hands, the saw can be gripped well.
Furthermore, it has a lanyard hole through which the supplied leather cord is threaded. I usually carry it in my pants behind my knife. I replaced the leather cord with a paracord and the saw is quickly ready for use with a carabiner.
My secret tip: The knife set
The Bahco Laplander costs individually around 22 to 25 euros depending on the offer.
But there is a great deal with a Morakniv Companion knife. You can read what I think of the knife here (it's a fantastic value for the price).
The entire set costs between 27 and 30 EUR, depending on the offer. Check it out and grab it right away.
Attention, the set is unfortunately no longer available!
Summary of the Bahco Laplander
The folding saw from Bahco is a reliable saw for bushcraft and outdoor activities. You can quickly make kindling for your fire or clear your path. Even thick branches are easily manageable with this saw.
You have a good grip on it and the locking and folding function works perfectly. Overall, the saw requires little maintenance and attention.
The folding saw is the best thing you can get for the price as a beginner. It is lightweight and it saws and saws and saws.
Attention, the Bahco Laplander is no longer available! I recommend you a replacement model!
Daten aktualisiert vor einer Stunde
- Mit patentierter XT-Spezialverzahnung für schnelles und präzises Sägen. Sicherheitsarretierung zur Blattfixierung im offenen sowie geschlossenem Zustand. 2-Komponentenhandgriff.
- Ausführung: klappbar; Blattlänge: 190mm; Gewicht: 196 Gramm
Matching this, I have written a guide on equipment for bushcraft beginners. I also recommend a folding saw. It's worth its weight in gold out in the wilderness.
And now to you. What experiences have you had with the Bahco Laplander?
Was this guide helpful?
16 people found this guide helpful.
5.00 out of 5 points (16 Ratings)