The 8 best Bushcraft knives with fire steel 2023 [+Buyer's guide]
Here you can find the 8 best bushcraft knives with integrated fire steel for your next outdoor adventure. My comparison helps you in the selection.
From Martin Gebhardt. Check out my “About me” page.
👉 The key facts from this guide
- Choose a bushcraft knife with integrated fire steel for more versatility and reliability.
- Pay attention to the quality of the blade material and handle for durability and comfort.
- Some recommended brands are Morakniv, Böker Solingen, and BPS Knives.
- Fire steels also function in adverse conditions, so you don't need an additional lighter.
- The selection criteria should also include ergonomics and the quality of the fire steel.
- A good bushcraft knife is not just a tool but also a survival aid in the wilderness.
Hey, ever been stuck in the wilderness because your knife and lighter failed?
Annoying, isn't it?
No worries, I've got the solution!
I present to you the 8 best bushcraft knives with Firesteel.
Sharp, sturdy, and always ready for a campfire.
Read on and get ready for your next adventure!
The 8 best bushcraft knives with Firesteel
The ability to make fire is one of the most fundamental and important skills in the field of bushcraft and survival.
A good knife is essential, and when it comes with a fire starter, it's a real bonus.
In this article, I will introduce you to my 8 favorite bushcraft knives, all of which come equipped with a Firesteel.
Why choose a bushcraft knife with a Firesteel?
- Versatility: A knife with a Firesteel is a multifunctional tool.
- Convenience: No additional lighter or matches needed.
- Reliability: Firesteels work even under adverse conditions.
Before we get to the knives, here are some criteria that I have considered in the selection:
- Blade material
- Handle material
- Quality of the Firesteel
Overview of Bushcraft Knives with Firesteel
|Knife||Weight||Blade Length||Handle Material||Grind||Price|
|MORAKNIV MORA-BUSHCRAFT SURVIVAL KNIFE||229 g||10.9 cm||Rubber||Scandi||€72.00|
|BÖKER SOLINGEN® BRONCO CPM 3V||148 g||11.3 cm||TPE||Hollow||€169.95|
|BPS KNIVES ADVENTURER||160 g||13.5 cm||Walnut Wood||Scandi||€55.99|
|MORAKNIV SPARK BLACK||127 g||10.3 cm||TPE||Scandi||€31.62|
|GREIFS® MILAN||500 g||11 cm||G10||Flat||€64.99|
|NedFoss WILD-BOAR||350 g||10 cm||G10||Flat||€54.97|
|STATGEAR Surviv-All||200 g||n/a||Rubber||Flat||€56.00|
|MORAKNIV KANSBOL SK||100 g||10.5 cm||TPE||Scandi||€54.50|
Let's now delve deeper into the individual models.
My 8 best models for bushcraft knives with Firesteel
Welcome to the detailed presentation of the Bushcraft knives with integrated Firesteel.
If you are an outdoor enthusiast who seeks adventure in the wilderness, then you know how important a reliable knife is.
But what's even better than a high-quality bushcraft knife? A bushcraft knife with an integrated Firesteel!
This combination not only provides you with a versatile tool for all kinds of tasks in nature, but also the ability to make fire whenever you need it.
1. Morakniv Mora-Bushcraft Survival Knife: Precision meets comfort in outdoor adventures
First, allow me to introduce you to a Morakniv knife that has been captivating the community for a long time. I like it because of its lightweight, sharpness, and great value for money.
- Mora Bushcraft Survival ist ein Gürtelmesser mit glatter Klinge und einer Gesamtlänge von 23,7 cm
- Es überzeugt durch die robuste 3,2 mm starke Klinge
- Der Gummigriff liegt wie angegossen sicher in der Hand
- Durch den in die Scheide integrierten Diamant-Messerschärfer kann man das Messer auch unterwegs schärfen
- Ein an der schwarzen Scheide, mit abnehmbarer Gürtelschlaufe, befestigter Feuerstahl ermöglicht das Entzünden von Feuer
72,00 €View Product
What I like about the knife?
- Robust belt knife for outdoor activities
- Non-slip rubber grip for secure handling
- Maintenance-friendly thanks to the integrated diamond knife sharpener in the sheath
The Morakniv Mora-Bushcraft Survival Knife scores points with its practical features for outdoor use. The 10.9 cm blade made of alloyed steel promises durability and a long lifespan.
The handle, equipped with non-slip properties, ensures safety during handling, even under demanding conditions. In addition, the sheath contains a fire starter for easy fire ignition.
Target audience and differentiation
The target audience for this product is adults with a preference for camping and outdoor activities who are looking for a reliable and functional knife.
Compared to similar products on the market, the Mora-Bushcraft Survival Knife stands out for its non-slip handling and the included extras such as the diamond knife sharpener and the fire starter.
High-quality blade steel ensures durability
Non-slip grip ensures safe use
Additional extras like knife sharpener and fire starter enhance usability
The blade is not full tang
Lack of universal holder for alternative fire starters
The included fire starter could be more effective
2. Böker Solingen Bronco CPM 3V Survival Knife with Firesteel
High-quality survival bushcraft knife from Böker Solingen - perfect for outdoor adventures thanks to its sturdy CPM-3V blade and practicality with Firesteel.
- 100% MADE IN GERMANY - das stabile, feststehende Pfadfinder Fahrtenmesser wird komplett in Solingen gefertigt. Dank der stabilen CPM-3V Droppoint Klinge & dem rutschfesten TPE Griff ist das Full Tang Bushcraftmesser auch für Batoning perfekt geeignet
- LEBENSLANGE GARANTIE - das hochwertige Survivalmesser mit Leder-Scheide, Feuerstahl & extra scharfer CPM-3V Klinge ist ein robustes Arbeitsmesser für raue Outdoor-, Bushcraft-, Angel-, Jagd- & Camping-Abenteuer - mit lebenslanger Böker Garantie
- VIELSEITIG EINSETZBAR - das robuste Survivalmesser ist extrem langlebig. Dank Feuerstahl machen Sie in der Wildnis auch ohne Feuerzeug einfach ein Lagerfeuer. Nutzen Sie das Outdoor Knife als Angelmesser, Jagdmesser, Campingmesser & Überlebensmesser
- PERFEKTE GESCHENK-IDEE - das Pfadfindermesser mit Feuerstein ist das Geschenk für Outdoor-, Survival- & Bushcraft-Fans. Machen Sie Freunden & der Familie mit dem feststehenden Fahrtenmesser ein echte Freude z.B. zu: Geburtstag, Weihnachten & Vatertag
- EIGENSCHAFTEN - robustes Survival-Messer, erlaubt lt. deutschem WaffG - Klinge 11,3 cm, ges. 23,2 cm, Stärke 3,5 mm, Gewicht 148 g, CPM-3V Klinge, HRC 61 ±1 - TPR Griff schwarz - Lieferumfang: 1x Gürtelmesser, 1x Dangler Lederscheide &. Feuerstahl
169,95 €View Product
What I like about the knife?
- Made in Solingen, Germany
- Sturdy 11.3 cm long CPM-3V drop point blade
- Practical Firesteel for wilderness use
Everything you need for your adventure
The Böker Solingen Bronco CPM 3V Survival Knife is more than just a simple knife. It is a reliable companion for outdoor adventures, impressing with its robust CPM-3V blade and practical Firesteel.
Made in Germany, this knife promises the highest quality and durability. Thanks to its non-slip TPE handle, it provides a secure grip and allows for fatigue-free work.
Perfect gift for outdoor enthusiasts
For individuals who enjoy being in nature, whether for bushcraft, camping, or adventure travel, this knife is a valuable gift.
It is not only a functional tool but also a symbol of the freedom and independence that outdoor life offers.
Practical Firesteel included
Robust, durable blade
Higher price compared to similar knives
Relatively large and heavy
3. BPS Knives Adventurer - Bushcraft Knife - Fixed Carbon Steel Knife with Leather Sheath and Firestarter
A sturdy and well-balanced carbon steel knife suitable for both everyday use and more demanding outdoor activities.
- SCHARFE KLINGE: Bushcraft-Messer mit vollem Erl aus Kohlenstoffstahl und Ledertasche. Rasiermesserscharfe langlebige feststehende Klinge mit echtem Scandi-Schliff. Das Camp-Messer ist direkt aus der Verpackung scharf
- HOHE QUALITÄT: Feststehendes Messer aus hochwertigem Kohlenstoffstahl 1066. Gehärtet auf 56-57 HRC und behält die Schärfe gut. Gut ausbalanciert. Der Griff des Messers besteht aus Walnussholz und ist mit dänischem Öl beschichtet, was dieses Tourenmesser feuchtigkeits- und schmutzbeständig macht. Der Griff ist mit Schrauben befestigt und kann leicht gelöst werden, um das Messer zu reinigen
- PERFEKTES GESCHENK: Ein unverzichtbares Werkzeug für diejenigen, die gerne angeln, jagen, campen und aktiv Zeit verbringen. Ein großartiges Geschenk für echte Messerkenner
- ABMESSUNGEN: Gesamtlänge - 10 Zoll (255 mm). Klingenlänge - 5 1/3 Zoll (135 mm). Grifflänge - 4 2/3 Zoll (120 mm). Klingenbreite - 1,2 Zoll (30 mm). Klingenstärke - 0,1 Zoll (2,8 mm). Gewicht ohne Scheide - 5,7 Unzen (160 Gramm). Gewicht mit Scheide und Feuerstahl - 10,2 Unzen (290 Gramm)
- SICHERES TRAGEN: Das Camp-Messer Adventurer CSHF ist mit einer Lederscheide mit Ferro Rod ausgestattet, die es ermöglicht, das Messer bequem am Gürtel oder in einem Rucksack oder einer Tasche zu tragen. Und der Ferro Rod ist in den verschiedensten Situationen nützlich
kein Preis ermittelbar (B08KFDKKK6)View Product
What I like about the BPS Knives Adventurer Knife?
- Made of high-quality carbon steel for a sharp and durable blade
- Practical leather sheath and firestarter for bushcraft, camping, and survival trips
- The ergonomically designed handle provides comfort and control in every use
Quality meets functionality
The BPS Knives Adventurer is forged from high-quality carbon steel to ensure a sharp, long-lasting blade that maintains its sharpness even with intensive use. But it's the additional features that make this knife stand out.
A stylish leather sheath allows you to safely store and transport your knife, while the included firestarter ensures you're always ready to ignite a fire no matter where you are.
Design for comfort
The ergonomically shaped handle design of this knife provides high comfort and control in every use.
Whether you're splitting wood or preparing dinner by the campfire, this knife is designed to feel natural and comfortable in your hand.
Robust and sharp carbon steel blade
Ergonomic handle for comfortable use
Practical leather sheath and firestarter included
Carbon steel can rust if not properly maintained
4. Morakniv Spark Black
The Morakniv Spark Black is a reliable outdoor knife with an integrated fire starter, ideal for all adventure enthusiasts.
Daten aktualisiert vor 19 Stunden
- Klinge aus rostfreiem Schwedenstahl
- Messerrücken mit 90° Kante
- Abrutschfester TPE-Gummi-Griff
- Ferrocium-Stab / Feuerstarter
- Reflektierendes Nylonband
What I like about the knife?
- Robust blade made of stainless Swedish steel
- Handle made of non-slip TPE rubber
- Integrated fire starter for outdoor adventures
Makes every outdoor experience safe and exciting
The Morakniv Spark Black is a reliable companion for all your outdoor adventures. Made in Sweden, it is designed for durability and longevity with its robust and durable blade made of stainless Swedish steel.
The handle made of non-slip TPE rubber provides a secure grip in any weather, and the integrated fire starter adds another practical feature that is particularly useful for camping trips or survival and bushcraft adventures.
Comes with useful additional features
In addition to the sharp and robust blade, the Morakniv Spark Black has a 90° edge blade that is ideal for using the integrated fire starter (I will explain exactly how it works or you can check out this guide here).
The handle also houses the integrated fire starter, which can be easily used with the edge of the blade. A reflective nylon cord on the fire starter helps to easily locate the knife even in poorly lit environments.
Versatile use due to the integrated Firesteel in the handle
Robust, sharp, and durable blade
Not very stylish
No full tang, but still very stable
5. Outdoor adventures with the GREIFS Outdoor Knife MILAN
The GREIFS Outdoor Knife MILAN is a loyal companion for all outdoor adventures.
With its robust D2 steel, sturdy G10 handle, and practical Kydex holster with fire starter, you are prepared for many situations.
- 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐈𝐔𝐌 𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐋𝐈𝐓Ä𝐓 – Die Klinge ist aus einem Stück durchgehenden D2 Spezialstahl gefertigt und der Griff besteht aus G10 Komposit Material. So entsteht ein unverwüstliches Messer das den härtesten Einsätzen standhält.
- 𝐈𝐌𝐌𝐄𝐑 𝐆𝐑𝐈𝐅𝐅𝐁𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐈𝐓 – Dank integriertem Gürtelclip und der hochwertigen Scheide aus Kydex hast du dein Messer stets sofort zur Hand.
- 𝐋𝐄𝐆𝐀𝐋 𝐌𝐈𝐓𝐅Ü𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐍 – Das Messer mit einer feststehenden Klinge von 11 cm Länge darf legal mitgeführt werden und begleitet dich so auf allen Abenteuern.
- 𝐌𝐈𝐓 𝐅𝐄𝐔𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐇𝐋 – Der am Holster befestigte Feuerstahl erlaubt es dir in jeder Situation und Wetterlage ein Feuer zu entzünden.
- 𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐃𝐎𝐎𝐑 𝐆𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐊 𝐒𝐄𝐓 – Du erhältst das Outdoor Messer mit Holster und Feuerstahl in einer edlen, schwarzen Geschenkbox. Jetzt zum Einführungsangebot kaufen!
64,99 €View Product
What I like about the GREIFS® Outdoor Knife MILAN?
- Made of robust D2 steel.
- Equipped with a sturdy G10 handle.
- Includes a practical Kydex holster with fire starter.
Robust and reliable for every adventure
Whether camping, hiking, or survival training: With the GREIFS Outdoor Knife MILAN, you are well-equipped.
The blade made of D2 steel is particularly robust and withstands even the toughest conditions.
The G10 handle provides a secure grip, even in wet conditions.
The included Kydex sheath with integrated fire starter ensures that you always have your knife ready and can ignite a fire in any situation.
Robust materials: D2 steel and G10 handle
Practical accessories: Kydex sheath with fire starter
Easy handling thanks to a good grip
Full tang construction
May be too demanding for beginners
Not suitable for very fine work, e.g. carving
Quite heavy at 500 g and large for everyday use
6. Practical NedFoss WILD-BOAR Survival Knife for all your outdoor activities
For those who need a durable, compact, and user-friendly outdoor knife: take a look at the NedFoss WILD-BOAR. I particularly like the value for money and the stylish leather sheath.
Daten aktualisiert vor 19 Stunden
- FULL TANG - KONSTRUKTION: : Die Klinge dieses Survival Messers besteht aus D2-Stahl, seine Härte beträgt 62 HRC, und ist von der Spitze bis zum Ende des Griffs aus einem einzigen, 22cm langem Stück gefertigt, Somit ist die Robustheit quasi von Hause aus garantiert.
- RUTSCHFESTER GRIFF: Nedfoss Outdoor Messer liegt durch die angenehme Grifflänge gut in der Hand und der überrutschschutz sorgt für eine sichere Handhabung. Der Griff besteht aus hochtemperatur- und korrosionsbeständigem G10-Material
- FEUERSTAHL - Enthalten ist ein Feuerstahl für das endgültige Abenteuer. Zusammen mit der Einkerbung auf dem Klingenrücken, etwas Watte und kleinen, trockenen Holzstückchen, kannst Du Dein eigenes Lagerfeuer entzünden.
- MIT LEDERSCHEIDE: Das Gürtelmesser kommt in einem Holster aus hochwertigstem Leder, Die Scheide kann komfortabel an den Gürtel gehängt werden. Immer sicher und griffbereit, wenn du das Gürtelmesser brauchst.
- EIN PERFEKTES GESCHENK: Das Messer unterstützt dich in vielen Lebensbereichen. Ob beim Schnur kürzen, Stöcke schnitzen, Angeln, Pilzesammeln oder einfach beim Pakete öffnen zu Hause, und ist das perfekte Geschenk für einen Vater, Freund, Entdecker oder Sammler!
What I like about the NedFoss WILD-BOAR Survival Knife
- Made of robust D2 steel
- With a secure and non-slip G10 handle
- Includes a fire starter and a leather belt sheath
More than just a knife
This survival knife from NedFoss is not only practical, but it also supports you in many of your outdoor activities. Whether fishing, camping, or hiking, it is your loyal companion.
Its 10 cm blade made of D2 steel is durable and robust, while the G10 handle ensures non-slip grip even in challenging weather conditions.
Features and benefits
A special feature of this knife is the included fire starter, which allows you to ignite your fire when you are outdoors. Furthermore, the knife comes with a high-quality leather sheath that you can attach to your belt for easy access.
A trusted companion
The NedFoss WILD-BOAR Survival Knife is more than just a simple piece of equipment. It is your reliable partner for many of your adventures in the great outdoors.
Made of durable D2 steel, full tang construction
Non-slip G10 handle for secure grip
Comes with a fire starter and a high-quality leather sheath
Good price for the set with leather sheath in bushcraft style
May be too large for some outdoor activities
7. STATGEAR Surviv-All Rescue Knife
The STATGEAR Surviv-All Rescue Knife: A must-have for all outdoor enthusiasts and campers. A versatile tool for wilderness survival.
- rostfreie Edelstahlklinge mit schwarzem Finish
- rutschfester brauner Gummigriff mit Neonstreifen
- Nothammer/Glasbrecher am Griffende
- braune Kydexscheide mit Gürtelschlaufe
- Gurtschneider, Feuerstarter und Diamtschärfer
49,90 €View Product
What I like about the bushcraft knife with fire starter?
- High-quality stainless-steel blade
- Integrated seatbelt cutter and fire starter
- Non-slip handle for secure handling
Reliable companion in the wilderness
The Surviv-All Rescue Knife by STATGEAR is perfect for all outdoor activities. With its sturdy and non-slip handle, it provides a secure grip even under unfavorable conditions.
The stainless-steel blade is rust-resistant and sharp, making it suitable for various tasks such as cutting wood or starting a fire.
Convenient seatbelt cutter and fire starter
In addition to the blade, the knife features an integrated seatbelt cutter, a fire starter, and a diamond sharpener. These features enhance the versatility of the knife, making it an ideal companion for bushcraft, camping, and trekking.
Durable stainless-steel blade
Integrated seatbelt cutter, fire starter, and diamond sharpener
Non-slip handle for secure grip
Diamond sharpener on the back can scratch pants/backpack
8. Morakniv Belt Knife KANSBOL SK - Lightweight and Reliable
The Morakniv Belt Knife KANSBOL SK is for anyone who needs a solid and lightweight tool for outdoor use.
An essential tool for those who enjoy being in nature and don't want to go without a reliable knife.
Daten aktualisiert vor 19 Stunden
What I like about the Morakniv Belt Knife KANSBOL SK?
- Lightweight for comfortable carrying (100 grams)
- Made of stainless Sandvik steel 12C27
- Includes a holder with a fire starter and diamond sharpener
Easy handling and versatility
The Morakniv Belt Knife KANSBOL SK impresses with its low weight and maneuverability. Made of stainless Sandvik steel 12C27, it is robust and durable.
The olive green handle made of non-slip TPE plastic ensures a secure grip while working. In addition, the set includes a detachable holder with a fire starter and a diamond sharpener, making the belt knife particularly versatile.
Lightweight and handy
Non-slip grip ensures a secure hold
Includes useful accessories such as a fire starter and diamond sharpener
Not ideal for very rough work
No full tang
Buying Guide: What should you consider when buying a Bushcraft knife with Firesteel?
You and I know how great it is to be outdoors in nature.
And for great adventures, you need great equipment, right?
A bushcraft knife with a Firesteel is like a superhero tool when you're in the forest or in the mountains.
Let me show you what really matters when choosing the best knife for you.
Blade: Look for a sharp blade made of high-quality steel
Imagine the blade is like the tires on a race car. It has to be perfect so that everything runs smoothly.
You need a blade that is so sharp that it easily carves and cuts through wood. Trust me, you would rather not spend half an hour just cutting a small branch.
Accordingly, I have written the guide "Which Steel is Ideal for Bushcraft Knives? - Introducing 7 Popular Types of Steel".
Reminder: A good knife is so sharp that it can even cut paper without tearing it.
As you can see at the top of the picture, there are various grinds for the blade.
To get a comprehensive overview of the most common grinds, read my guide "What are the common knife grinds for outdoor knives?".
Firesteel: An integrated Firesteel should produce good sparks
Now it's getting magical. The Firesteel is like a magic wand. A few strokes over your knife, and you already have sparks.
The sparks land on dry tinder and voilà, you have a fire! That's actually cool, especially if you don't have a lighter with you. (Further down you'll learn more about it and my favorite method)
Handle: An ergonomic handle makes handling easy and comfortable
You know that a shoe has to fit perfectly, right? It's the same with the handle of your knife.
It should feel like it's a part of your hand. No pressure points, no slipping. It should just be really comfortable.
Tip: Try out different handles. Some are made of wood, others of plastic. Everyone has their preferences.
Material: The knife should be sturdy and well-crafted
The material of your knife is like the material of your tent. It must withstand all weather conditions.
Whether rain, snow or sunshine, your knife should always be in top shape. High-quality steel is important. And it should be built in a way that it doesn't fall apart when you need it most.
Now you already have an idea of how to choose a really great bushcraft knife with a Firesteel for your adventures.
It's like having a close friend. You want someone who is always there for you, especially when you're in the woods or in the mountains.
How to choose the right bushcraft knife with Firesteel?
You love the forest and nature as much as I do, don't you? When you go out, you want to make sure that your knife is the best friend by your side.
The selection of the right bushcraft knife with Firesteel is like searching for the perfect hiking boot. It simply has to fit. Let's find out together how you can find the perfect knife for yourself.
Read reviews: See what other people are saying
Imagine you want to go to a restaurant.
What do you do first? Exactly, you read the reviews. It's no different with a knife. Other people who have already tested the knife can tell you a lot about the quality.
Good advice: Pay attention to photos in the reviews. Sometimes people show what the knife looks like after a year of use. That is super helpful!
Consider needs: Think about what you want to do with the knife
Fact is. Everyone has a different reason to buy a knife.
Maybe you just want to take a walk in the forest. But maybe you also want to build a camp. So think about what you really need.
- For carving: You need a very sharp blade.
- For cooking: A narrow and thinner knife is better for cutting food.
- For survival: You need an extremely sturdy knife that can do it all, like prying things without breaking.
Testing: If possible, take the knife in your hand
This is like with a new bicycle. You want to ride it first before you buy it.
If you can find the knife in a store, great! Touch it. Feel how it fits in your hand. Is it too heavy? Does the handle slip? These are things you can only find out when you hold it in your hand.
|Advantage in the store||Advantage when you buy online|
|You can touch and feel it||You can easily return it if it doesn't fit|
Get advice: Ask experts or experienced Bushcrafters if you are unsure
I always ask my friends or people who often know a lot when I want to buy something new.
There are many people out there who have experience with knives. Maybe there is a Bushcraft community on Instagram? Or you can find forums on the internet where people share their experiences.
Tip: Write down all the questions you have. Then you can ask them all at once and get good answers for sure.
Now you are well-equipped to find the perfect bushcraft knife with Firesteel for you.
Always remember, it's like with an old friend. You want someone who fits you and whom you can always rely on.
How to maintain a bushcraft knife with a Firesteel?
You love spending time in the forest, just like me. In this case, a bushcraft knife with a Firesteel is your loyal friend. But like any knife, it needs some care and attention.
Here I show you how to keep your knife in such good shape that it is always ready for the next adventure.
Cleaning: Always clean after use
You can take a simple cloth and wipe the blade. If you've been in the woods, small pieces of wood or resin may stick to the blade. A little warm water and soap will help here. Oil helps against resin.
Tip: Avoid abrasive cleaners, as they could damage your knife.
Oiling: The blade needs regular oiling to prevent rusting
You also give oil to your bike, so it doesn't squeak, right? It's the same with your knife.
Give a few drops of special knife oil on the blade and then distribute it evenly. This protects against rust. You can spread the oil with a soft cloth or even with your finger.
|When to oil?||Which oil?|
|After each use or cleaning||Special knife oil or even vegetable oil|
Sharpening: A sharp blade is a safe knife
If you can no longer cut a piece of paper with your knife, it's time to sharpen it.
You need a sharpening stone for that. Place the knife on the stone and carefully draw it across the surface. But be careful, not too angled! Otherwise, you will ruin the blade.
Note: A sharp knife is safer because you need less force and can better control what you are doing.
Find more information about knife sharpening here:
- This simple and inexpensive trick shows you how to keep your knife sharp
- 9 tricks on how to sharpen a knife without a sharpening stone
Storage: Store in a dry place to keep it fresh for a long time
After the adventure is before the adventure. Where do you keep your knife when you're at home?
Best stored in a dry drawer, your knife sheath, or a specialized knife case. Moisture is the enemy. Therefore, do not place it in a damp cellar.
|Where to store?||How to store?|
|Dry drawer or knife sheath||No contact with moisture|
So, now you know how to keep your bushcraft knife in shape with a Firesteel. Remember, a little care is necessary. Then your knife is always ready when the next adventure calls.
What are the advantages of a bushcraft knife with Firesteel?
You love nature and spend every free minute outside. So do I.
That's why I know how important the right tool is. A bushcraft knife with a Firesteel can be a real game changer.
Why? Allow me to explain:
Versatility: From carving to making fire - anything is possible
- Carving: Do you want to carve a spoon or build a trap? No problem. A good bushcraft knife is like a Swiss army knife. Just cooler. With the right blade, you can get started in no time.
- Fire making: No lighter? No stress. The Firesteel on your knife is like magic. A few sparks and you have a fire. It's as simple as that.
Reliability: A good knife delivers on its promises
High-quality materials: You need a knife that lasts. That's why the best bushcraft knives are made from excellent steel. They are made from stainless steel or tool steel and stay sharp for a long time.
A knife is only as good as its steel.
Longevity: A good knife is like an old friend. It stays by your side, year after year. And with the right care, it will never let you down.
Safety: With a Firesteel, you're always on the safe side
Quickly ignite a fire: In the wilderness, it can get cold. A fire is not only cozy but also keeps you warm. The Firesteel on your knife is your fire insurance.
Set emergency signals: Imagine you need help. With the Firesteel, you can ignite a signal fire. This can even save your life in an emergency.
Handling: Ergonomic handles make it easy
Comfortable in the hand: A good grip is important. It makes the work easier. You definitely don't want blisters on your hands, right? Ergonomic handles are like a hug for your hand.
No fatigue: Long journeys in the wilderness? Your hands will thank you. A good grip ensures that you can carve, dig, or whatever you want to do for longer.
How to use a Firesteel with a bushcraft knife?
A Firesteel is an essential tool for every outdoor enthusiast. Together with a high-quality bushcraft knife, it forms an unbeatable team for survival in the wilderness.
But how do you actually use this combination correctly?
Here we go into detail:
Preparation: Collect dry tinder and prepare tinder material
Before you even pull out the Firesteel, you need something that burns - so tinder.
Prepare knife: Hold blade horizontally in front of you and draw Firesteel over it
The knife is more than just a tool for cutting; it also acts as your scraper, making sparks fly.
Place the blade of the knife flat and horizontally in front of you. Then, draw the Firesteel across the back of the knife and sparks will gather in front of the blade.
The angle is crucial: too flat, and you won't generate any sparks, too steep and the sparks will be too weak. Try it out here!
Sparkling: Spraying sparks onto the tinder with pressure
This is a magical moment.
Pull the Firesteel towards you with a strong, quick jerk along the back of the knife.
The goal is to generate sparks that fall onto the tinder material.
Don't worry if it doesn't work the first time. Practice makes perfect.
Building a fire: Igniting tinder and expanding the fire
As soon as the sparks land on the tinder, it should start to burn.
As soon as the tinder material is burning, add small branches and then larger pieces of wood to expand your fire.
Here you will find information about the difference between tinder and kindling.
And there you have it:
A fire ignited with your bushcraft knife and a Firesteel.
It may require a little practice, but once you get the hang of it, you'll feel like a true survival artist.
And the best part?
With the right technique and the right tool, you are prepared for any challenge the wilderness presents to you.
A bushcraft knife with a Firesteel is a true all-rounder for outdoor enthusiasts
The 8 best models that I present to you are reliable, versatile, and easy to handle.
With this buying guide, you will find the perfect knife for you - or at least a good direction.
Think about maintenance, then you will have a long-lasting bushcraft knife.
So you are well-prepared for everything that the wilderness brings.
Was this guide helpful?
22 people found this guide helpful.
5.00 out of 5 points (22 Ratings)