Why I always carry a knife (+29 reasons to carry it)
Outdoor activities without a knife? Unthinkable! In this guide, I, as a passionate outdoor enthusiast, reveal to you why a knife is essential. (+29 reasons)
From Martin Gebhardt. Check out my “About me” page.
👉 The key facts from this guide
- A knife is an indispensable companion for many everyday situations.
- While camping, for bushcraft and survival, a sturdy knife is vital.
- In emergencies, a knife can even be lifesaving.
- A good knife gives you a sense of security.
- A stylish knife is also a beautiful accessory.
- You never know when you may urgently need a knife - so always have one at hand!
Imagine you are outside and want to set up your tent.
Darn, the tent pegs are missing.
Or you've caught a great fish, but how do you make it ready to eat now?
And then there's this rope that's just too long.
A knife is the solution to all these problems.
Carve tent pegs, fillet your fish, and cut the rope to the perfect length.
In this article, I will reveal to you 29 reasons why a knife should always be in your pocket. You will wonder how you ever managed without one!
The most important companion for outdoor activities
A good knife is therefore an essential part of every outdoor enthusiast's basic equipment.
A versatile tool for everyday use
In everyday life, there are countless situations where a knife is very useful.
In the kitchen, it helps you, for example, with cutting fruit, vegetables, and meat. This way, you can effortlessly prepare a meal.
To open packages, a knife is also ideal. It protects your teeth and fingernails.
If you work with your hands or are doing a DIY project, a knife is a very handy tool. You can open letters and packages cleanly and safely with a knife.
A tool for security
A knife can also increase your safety. It gives you a sense of protection and confidence.
In an emergency or in the event of an accident, it can even be life-saving.
For example, to free yourself from a car or cut injured people out of their clothing.
A knife can also be an effective means of self-defense in a dangerous situation. However, be aware that the knife can also be used against you.
In short: A knife gives you security for emergencies.
|Advantages of a knife||Example usage|
|Cutting wood||For a campfire or building a shelter|
|Preparing meals||Cutting, peeling, and chopping food|
|Opening packages||Avoiding tooth or nail damage|
|Self-defense||In emergencies to defend against dangers|
Versatile tool for bushcraft and survival
It helps you with building shelters, making fire, and procuring food. In case of an emergency, it can even be life-saving.
Pay attention to a robust blade that can withstand extreme stress. A knife with a good handle gives you the necessary control.
With the right qualities, a knife is your best friend on survival adventures.
Characteristics of a good survival and bushcraft knife
|Robust blade||Withstands extreme stress|
|Ergonomic handle||Secure grip for optimal control|
|Sharp blade||Cuts effortlessly through materials|
|Continuous tang||Continuous blade to the end of the handle for maximum stability|
|High-quality craftsmanship||Durable and reliable even under heavy use|
I also recommend familiarizing yourself with blade hardness, blade steel, and blade grinds.
You should never use a hollow ground knife for chopping. And if you don't like sharpening your knife, you should opt for harder steel types.
Below are the appropriate guides for the following topics:
- What are the common blade grinds for outdoor knives? (How to choose the right knife)
- Which steel is ideal for bushcraft knives? - 7 popular steel types introduced
- What hardness should a knife have? - HRC explained simply
An Accessory with Style
A knife doesn't just have to be practical, it can also be a stylish accessory.
There are numerous models that impress with beautiful materials and designs.
A knife with a noble wooden handle or a modern titanium design is a way to express your individual style.
It enriches your outfit and showcases your sense of quality.
"A stylish knife can make a fashion statement and enhance an outfit. It can be a conversation starter and highlight individuality."
And now let's get to the reasons why a knife should always be with you.
I always have my Victorinox Huntsman pocket knife with me. Why, you can read in my review.
29 concrete reasons how a knife can help you in everyday life, in nature, and in emergencies
- To open packages: A knife is ideal for opening packages. This way you can avoid breaking your teeth or damaging your fingernails.
- When cooking and eating: A sharp knife is essential in the kitchen. It makes cutting fruits, vegetables, meat, and much easier.
- When camping: At the campfire, you can split wood (Batoning), bake stick bread, and much more with a knife.
- For carving: A knife is excellent for carving wood. Why not try these carving ideas?
- To cut ropes: With a knife, you can easily cut ropes and cords.
- As a screwdriver: Some pocket knives have an integrated screwdriver. This way you always have one at hand.
- For making fire: With a knife and a flint, you can easily start a campfire. There are bushcraft knives with integrated fire steel.
- To free yourself from vehicles: In case of an accident, a knife can be life-saving to free yourself from the vehicle.
- To cut clothing: Injured people can be gently freed from their clothing.
- For self-defense: In an emergency, a knife can be effectively used for self-defense.
- As a tool: A knife can be used in various ways as a tool, e.g., for prying, chopping, or screwing.
- For surviving in nature: A robust survival knife is essential for wilderness survival.
- As an accessory: A stylish hunting or bushcraft knife is also a fashionable accessory.
- For a sense of security: A knife gives you a feeling of security and confidence.
- For emergencies: You never know when you might urgently need a knife.
- To open cans: Cans can be easily opened with a knife.
- To clean fish: A sharp knife is ideal for gutting and filleting fish.
- Removing ticks: Little pests lurk in the forest. Be prepared!
- Building traps: Catch your dinner with a simple trap and your knife.
- Signaling: Reflecting in sunlight, your knife becomes a signaling device.
- For handy work: A knife is very useful for DIY projects.
- Building a shelter: Carve stakes and build a wind-protected shelter for the night.
- Digging holes: An improvised shovel when it's really necessary (your blade won't like it).
- Marking trees: In an emergency, you can keep track in dense forests.
- Carving bows and arrows: Who says you can't be Robin Hood?
- Mending clothes: Your knife becomes a sewing workshop.
- Cutting paper or bark: For notes, signs, or just for fun.
- Skinning animals and using the fur: Part of wilderness survival.
- For countless everyday situations: In everyday life, there are always situations where a knife is useful.
FAQ: Why a knife is indispensable
Why should I carry a knife with me?
A knife is useful in many situations and serves various purposes. When it comes to food prep, a knife is indispensable and makes food preparation easier. In emergencies, a knife can be life-saving by being used to free oneself from a vehicle accident or to cut through clothing.
A good knife also offers pride and independence. A stylish knife can also serve as an accessory. After all, you never know when you'll need a knife, as there are many uses.
How can a knife help in everyday life?
A knife is extremely practical and versatile in everyday life - like a Swiss pocket knife, for example. It can be used to open packages, avoiding damage to the teeth. Additionally, it facilitates the preparation and cooking of food. A knife is therefore an indispensable tool that should not be missing in everyday life.
Can a knife contribute to safety?
Yes, in addition to its practical use, a knife can also serve as a safety measure. It can be life-saving in emergencies, for example, by being used to free oneself from a vehicle accident or to cut through clothing. A knife gives one a sense of security.
Why is a knife an essential tool for outdoor activities?
When it comes to outdoor activities, a knife is an essential tool. It can be used in camping, Bushcrafting, and survival for various purposes, such as cutting wood for a campfire or preparing meals. Therefore, a specialized outdoor knife should be part of the survival equipment.
Why is a knife important for bushcraft and survival?
A knife is an essential tool for bushcraft and survival. It can help with building shelters, carving tools, or making fire. In the wilderness, a good knife is essential for survival and should always be carried.
Can a knife serve as an accessory?
Yes, a knife can not only be practical, but also serve as an accessory. There are various stylish knives that can be worn as a fashion statement. A high-quality and stylish knife also gives one pride and independence.
In which situations can a knife be useful?
One should always carry a knife with them, as you never know when you might need it. There are countless situations where a knife can be useful, whether it's in the household, at work, or during leisure time. A knife offers many uses and should therefore always be within reach.
Am I allowed to carry any knife in Germany?
In Germany, the Weapons Act regulates the handling of knives. Not every knife may be carried in public.
Here is a brief overview:
- Prohibited knives: Some types of knives are generally prohibited and may not be possessed, acquired, transferred, or carried. Examples of these are butterfly knives, gravity knives, knuckle knives, and switchblade knives with a double-edged blade.
- Restrictions for fixed-blade knives: Fixed-blade knives with a blade length over 12 cm may not be carried in public, unless there is a legitimate reason (e.g., profession, sport).
- Restrictions for one-handed knives: One-handed knives (knives that can be opened and locked with one hand) may not be carried in public, unless there is a legitimate reason.
- Exceptions: There are exceptions where carrying such knives is allowed. This may be the case, for example, at an event where carrying knives is necessary for thematic reasons (e.g., medieval markets).
- Everyday knives: Normal folding knives or fixed-blade knives with a blade length of less than 12 cm that are not considered one-handed knives are generally allowed to be carried.
It is important to always check the current laws or seek legal advice when in doubt. Furthermore, take a look at my comprehensive guide on knife laws.
When traveling abroad, it is advisable to also inform oneself about the local knife regulations, as these may differ from the German regulations.
Conclusion - Knives are indispensable tools for any situation
As you can see, there are numerous reasons to always have a knife within reach.
It is a versatile companion for everyday life, leisure, and emergencies.
Whether for cooking, outdoor activities, or as an accessory - a good knife will serve you well.
I hope I was able to convince you of the usefulness of a knife with this guide.
It's best to start by getting yourself a knife that suits you perfectly.
Was this guide helpful?
17 people found this guide helpful.
5.00 out of 5 points (17 Ratings)